Friday, February 17, 2012

Domari

Setting: A few friends, a cup of coffee. A short walk off campus, to a cute little German cafe called Dormition Abbey. 

Yesterday I helped out at Domari, a women's center in Shu'fat (East Jerusalem). "The center provides after-school tutoring, job skills training, literacy courses, humanitarian aid, and programs that foster cultural pride. Further, as a part of its mission of women's empowerment, the center produces and sells tradition Gypsy handicrafts, including embroidery, jewelry, pottery, and handbags, to encourage economic independence and improve quality of life."It is run by Amoun, a women very passionate about helping her community. http://www.wix.com/domarisociety/domari-society-website#!who-we-are

I have loved my time at Domari.  All the people here are just wonderful! The culture here is big on hospitality, something I will surely miss after I leave. I feel so welcomed here! I stopped by briefly last week to meet some of the community, and returned yesterday. As soon as I walked in I knew it was where I was supposed to be. This place is super crafty, has wonderful tea, awesome women– from all over the world, and little children running around!
I will be going every Thursday afternoon with one of my friends here, Laura. Yesterday we organized a craft cabinet and the display jewelry. Then, I tried to play with a few kids, but it was challenging! They spoke little English, not quite enough to play some games. I have been getting very frustrated with the language barrier. It’s really difficult not being 
able to communicate, I really wish I spoke more than English.


I also ate a delicious lunch while I was there! Amoun and a couple of the other women made something like spaghetti, and some other things on the side. I'm looking forward to cooking wither them in the weeks to come! They also made us Arabic coffee and it was interesting for sure. Very strong, but some sugar and milk did the trick!



Then, I helped Laila (prounced like "lie-la") with her English homework. I was so excited to help! Although it was a little challenging, because I don't know Arabic, I enjoyed helping. She was pretty good at English, and was working on writing about school subjects.F or the most part this week has been good. Still pretty tiring emotionally because as soon as I have processed something new, something else new comes along that challenges something else. But, it is good. It is good that I am constantly learning. It has  been great to get off campus and fit into another community. I am looking forward to going back each week! And hopefully I will be able to learn some Arabic!


For the most part this week has been good. Still pretty tiring emotionally because as soon as I have processed something new, something else new comes along that challenges something else. But, it is good. It is good that I am constantly learning.


Oh, and before I forget to say this- I am safe. If you are worrying, please do not worry. The media completely distorts what is actually going on here. The whole thing with Iran has been blown up far too much. I have talked with the President of the university and he ensured me of my safety. It sounds harsh, but America is quick to point the finger to other people in other places. Maybe if we focused on our own problems, we could make better change in our nation. And anyway, if Iran does have a nuclear bomb who is safe anyway?

Thank you again for the prayers. I am so grateful for all of the support, and it is good to know I have so many people supporting my time here. I have found a good niche of friends, and it has been such a blessing! It is always difficult to fit into a new community, but I feel really settled in now! 

Fun Facts:
  • Movie theaters in Israel have half time! Best thing ever, you don't need to miss the movie to get refills! Win!
  • Although the original purpose for the Dome of the Rock will never be completely certain, it was most likely built to compete with the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The tradition believing it was the location of Muhammad's ascension did not begin until hundreds of years after built. 
  • In the mocha coffee here they put milk chocolate at the bottom, not the cheap fudge we use. Win!
* I posted pictures from the field study to the Inn of the Good Samaritan on Facebook. 
The campus gardens! I love to journal out here. 
Kumquats in the campus gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment