Monday, February 20, 2012

Which Promised Land?

I am beginning to understand the concept of the land that is promised. And I see how “Promised Land” can be a dangerous term to use (it is not literally translated "Promised Land" we have coined this phrase). When I think of “Promised Land” I think of light and fluffy terms- easy, wonderful, milk and honey, right? But, God promised something different. Did God promise suffering?

Suffering? He also obviously promised to take care of the Israelites, but nevertheless, it is like He promised a land in which suffering was inevitable. The land isn’t like fertile Egypt. It goes along with the question of which is a stronger promise, “I promise to give you everything you want” or “I promise to take care of you no matter what.” And I am obviously going to say the latter, although, I must note that this promise is much easier in theory.

As time goes on here, I seem to become numb. Maybe not numb, maybe more like indifferent. I used to be so passionate and excited about everything. This apathy fears me, for I was certain I would become far from indifferent as a result of traveling this land. I am beginning to understand how people can lack a passion for the Bible's truth.

Another rock, another wall, another palace, another place. I guess it’s not that I don’t have passion anymore, it’s that it’s much different than before. I want the reality of these stories to come into my life. I don’t want to just hear about how Joshua led the Israelites into the land God promised, I want to know what this means for me. I want to see God led me to where I am supposed to be. I know I have written about this before, but these thoughts are still here, and even more so currently. Where is the God of Israel? I don’t want just another story.

It’s crazy really, this opportunity to be in Jericho, where Joshua and the Israelites were. It’s crazy to believe that it actually happened there. I thought it would be much easier to believe if I could see it with my own eyes. But I feel like it is too good to be true. I have this beautiful painted picture of a fairy tale story where God uses perfect people, in a perfect land.

It is just regular, regular land, regular people. I am finding I need to adjust all of the pictures I have. It is startling to me that God used everyday people in a land that was not perfect. Isn't it crazy that I feel this way? However, I don't think I am alone on this. When I had heard Bible stories in the past, I found it challenging to understand and relate. In reality, the people were normal; the land is just another part of the world. It’s not perfect in any sense. This is what I can apply to my life. This is the truth I can believe in. I don't want to forget the reality of the stories anymore. 
Bedouin Father and son



1 comment: