Friday, March 23, 2012

The Galilee

It is such a wonderful day. I look around me and wonder how I got here. The sounds of the city surround me and two worlds collide. Part of me will forever be tied to this place. Something about being here just easily brings joy- perhaps because I never thought I would make it this far, or maybe because this place is so rich with history about what I believe. It's so beautiful- a smell of spices in the distance mixed with tobacco, the sounds of some street musicians and vendors all around. 

This past week has been packed with travels. I had five days of field studies in six days. The four day trip consisted of sites in the Galilee. Saturday- Tuesday- Caesarea, Mt. Carmel, Megiddo, Jezreel Valley, Sepphoris, Nazareth Ridge, Beth-Shean, Hazor, Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Crater Lake, Mt. Bental, boat ride on the Galilee, Capernaum, Chorazim, and the Cliffs of Arbel. Then, Thursday I had a Second Temple Field Study in the Shephelah. 

The Galilee was definitely my favorite field study. The majority of the previous field studies focused on the Old Testament, which is awesome or course, but I was certainly ready to learn more about the New Testament. We stayed in Nazareth the first night, and then right on the coast of the Galilee, in Ein Gev, for the two following nights. 

Overall, it has been a wonderful week, but as expected, I am really tired out. Today marks seven weeks left! 
Caesarea


Mt. Carmel Elijah statue
The tree used in Jesus Christ superstar. 


Some Roman toilets. So classy.
Sunset on the Galilee

Walking on water!


Heart shaped ice cream. It's all I need.


Our hut on the Galilee!

Boat ride on the Galilee




Jordan River






No comments:

Post a Comment